Today, many people feel a sense of depression, hopelessness, depression. Close or just familiar people from the environment of such a person are often suspicious, how to help a person get out of depression? First and foremost, depression needs to be learned to differentiate from the physiological reaction (a minor subdepressive state of an individual) to annoying feelings, everyday turmoil, and psychotrauma. Unlike depression, a subdepressive condition is not a disease and is able to precede depression.
You should know that depression is characterized by mental, motor and emotional inhibition. Severe cases of depression are characterized by delusions of accusation (when the patient feels that he is allegedly accused of poor work, unethical behavior, and also when the sick person blames himself, for example, misconduct and considers himself guilty of the death of a family member, a team failure).
Hypochondriac delirium is also considered a depressive state, in which the sick person feels that his internal organs undergo changes and can lead to ailments and eternal torment.
How to communicate with depressed people
Many of the people experience bouts of inexplicable sadness, apathy precisely when there is no nearby soul capable of supporting at such a moment. This happens often after the loss of a close relative, a painful rupture or on the eve of a holiday, which once again a person is forced to meet alone.
It happens that a stable relationship does not give such guarantees, and one of the calm days a person may experience a state of depression, even though yesterday everything was quite perfect.
It is possible to help a person to get out of depression, if negative judgments, for example, complaining about insomnia, apathy, somatic complaints are not ignored, but allow the person to speak. One should refrain from using flat comforting judgments or stereotyped exhortations. It will be inappropriate to maneuver with a view to somehow cheer up a depressive friend or relative. It makes no sense to appeal to the will of the patient. It makes no sense to tell him that he needs to pull himself together, that everything is possible, if he only wants it.
When communicating, it is not necessary to appeal to such virtues as a sense of responsibility and faith. Psychotherapists advise the release of a depressed person from the need to make responsible decisions, if it is difficult for him. But to reassure the patient, saying that the end of depression is sure to come, make him feel that he is not guilty of his condition and is not considered untenable, it is advisable to do so.
If you follow an even, calm, confident tone in communication, this will help a person to get out of depression. It is important to initiate the patient’s visits to the psychotherapist and to accompany him whenever possible.
Under no circumstances is it recommended to allow a close person in the period of a depressive state to perform rash actions: quit his job, dissolve a marriage, plan a move or birth of a baby, and so on.
You can allow a depressed person to unload himself in the field of official and personal contacts, but in the established habits of radical changes can not be allowed.
How to help a loved one to get out of depression, if he does not want:
- to express empathy and understanding when it is difficult for a person to do something, while giving support when performing personal vital as well as real tasks;
- It is important to focus the depressed person on the fact that he is well able to accomplish it, while not allowing himself the triumphal intonation with regard to the patient;
- to monitor the regular implementation of the daily regimen; for this, a rhythmic plan in the mode (ascent, eating, work, rest, night sleep) must be respected, performed both on weekdays and during free days or holidays;
- it is important to support the psychologically sick, not allowing him to lie down in bed in the morning, go to bed early, retire for the day;
- you can carefully let your loved one understand that intimate desires in the period of depressive mood lose their power or disappear for a while and this is normal;
- it is required to stimulate in the patient an awareness of the importance of looking after oneself (compliance with sanitary standards);
- it is impossible for relatives to communicate when they communicate with their close ones. This often happens when a relative feels that the patient reacts negatively to all his efforts, rejecting any psychological help or suggestion;
- it is very important not to weaken the relationship with a depressive person and not to interrupt them when communicative contact comes to a standstill;
- in the presence of a depressed person you should refrain from liveliness, feigned gaiety, retelling of anecdotes and gossip;
- it is important to avoid expressions that may force the patient to smile, because this can cause a feeling of guilt or fear to be misled;
- one cannot allow oneself remarks and condemnations, it is important to remember that a depressive person is perceptibly wounded and susceptible, in everything he easily sees confirmation that he is referred to as a useless and incapable person;
- it is required to be careful in expressing irony, harmless jokes, sarcasm. In the period of depression, the sense of humor often disappears;
- it is not necessary to remember once again the former successes or achievements of the patient;
- during the period of severe depressive phase it is important to refrain from finding out the cause and reasons for the deterioration of mood. It is necessary to focus attention on the current moment, on the sensations experienced at this time;
- if a loved one is able to shed a tear, then it is advisable to give him an opportunity to cry and not maintain an artificially self-control tendency in him;
- in cases of not severe depression, the patient's efforts should be directed at stimulating breathing (breathing exercises), massage of the back of the head, back, abdomen, swimming;
- to encourage creative aspiration, when a loved one has such a desire, not to impose dances, drawing or playing music, and so on.
If all the above recommendations are followed and the psychotherapist's drug prescriptions are fulfilled, you can help a person get out of depression in the near term.
In parallel with the psychotherapists, psychologists offer their strategy in getting rid of the initial stage of the depressive state.
Psychologists say that a person who is close to being depressed may be quite aggressive in trying to help him cope with his condition. Therefore, in this situation, the right tactics will be invisible support, which consists in simple actions and gestures: washing dishes, cleaning, purchasing tickets to your favorite movie. It should be realized that depression is like a hurricane that can suddenly catch up. The depressive mood binds and "envelops", often, causing significant physical suffering.
Psychologists recommend three simple, effective ways to help a loved one get out of depression:
- walks in the fresh air (it is possible that a romantic walk will allow you to cheer up, while improving your mood). Research psychologists have found that a breath of fresh air in the early stages of depression can stop it. A 30 minute walk is enough;
- joint training (the benefits of sports are proven not only for physical but also for mental health. Scientists have shown that physical activity reduces the symptoms of not severe depression better than medical drugs). Training promotes the development of endorphins that counteract stress. Also, exercise increases the body temperature, which in turn has a calming effect on the body. Among other things, playing sports distracts attention, while reducing the patient's concentration on apathetic or frightening thoughts;
- optimistic vision of life (if close to depression, the first thing you can do is turn into an incorrigible optimist). Studies on this issue have proven that involuntary acts of kindness help to avoid immersion in a deep depression. Therefore, it is worth giving a close positive emotions, gifts for no reason, you can go together to the zoo, to the river and give joy as often as possible. It is advisable to always remember that positive emotions are the best healer of any negative attitude, even the most formidable of its manifestations.